Tuesday, April 24, 2007

 

Social Security

I heard on the radio today that Social Security is expected to last longer than originally thought. The updated date that Social Security is expected to run out of funds is 2041. I thought about that for a while and realized I would be 86 years old in 2041, if I am still alive.

The "baby boomers" will hit Social Security and deplete it tremendously. It was nice to have all those "baby boomers" working to provide funding for their parents, but their own actions of having only one or two kids will be nipping them in the butt. Parents of the past did now know when to quit, or did not have the birth control options that are available today. Most families had at least a half a dozen kids during the "baby boomer" era.

I came from a family of ten. Mom, Dad, four brothers and three sisters. I was in the middle of the family. So I was fortunate to have known my siblings at both ends of the family. The ones in the oldest age bracket and the ones in the youngest age bracket hardly knew each other due to the age spread.

My Mother was a magnificent woman. To have raised that many kids and keep her sanity. I don't know how she did it. I only had two and it drove me crazy at times.

I don't really know how they afforded it. I guess it came from passing down clothes. I don't remember how many clothes was passed down to me nor how many I passed down to my younger siblings.

I do know we never ate out, unless we went on a picnic. Could you imagine trying to feed a family of six at a restaurant?

Dad was a railroad worker, so he did not make much. He worked hard to take car of his family and he did a good job of it.

Mom had a full time job being a housewife, doing all the things necessary to keep the clothes washed up, food on the table, and making sure we all looked good when we went to school.

There needs to be something done to make sure that Social Security does not run out. Write your congress(man/woman) and let them know that they need to fix the system, not just try to replace it with these other new fangled savings plans that are in place today. People need something to fall back on.

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?