Tuesday, November 11, 2008

 

Veterans Day 2008

Remember to thank a veteran, not only on Veteran's Day, but each time you come in contact with one. Veterans give up so much of themselves in order to provide security and protection for their country. They sacrifice comfort, safety, and time with friends and family in an effort to keep them safe and secure. Veterans are those who managed to survive the battles and return home alive where others were not as fortunate. Veterans see their comrades as they fall from an enemy projectile realizing they could be next, but at the same time remembering why they are there, protecting those they love dearly.

Veterans put their lives on the line not only for their family and friends, but for you. If you ask any veteran if they would do it again, odds are the veteran would atonish you with a positive attitude and tell you they would do it again if asked.

It is not uncommon for someone to thank a veteran. It has happened to me several times during my life time. I remember sitting and listening to associates in an office for a company I worked for as they spoke about airplanes and how they were fascinated with them, not realizing that I had worked on over 17 different types of aircraft during my Air Force career, from trainers, fighters, tankers, cargo and passenger planes. The individual fascinated by all of these aircraft walked up to me on my last Veteran's Day with the company and shook my hand, thanking me for what I did. Being a veteran, I acknowledged the thanks and told him that I appreciated the gesture and that I had enjoyed doing what I did and that I came from a family of veterans. My Father, three brothers and a sister had served in the Navy, another brother served in the Army and I had served in the Air Force.

My Father had served during WWII and has passed away in 1997 after living a long productive life, at the age of 81. My brother who was in the Army and served two tours in Viet Nam passed away almost a year ago, on November 17th, 2007 after a long suffering with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), at the age of 59.

So the next time you come across a veteran, remember to thank them for what they did for you and those you care about. Odds are you will enjoy the encounter and be blessed.

Thank you Veterans!

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?